Friday 13 November 2009

Back home in Stoke Newington, London






Views of Stoke Newington High St and Clissold Park.




Front of the house and view from Kitchen/Dining Room window to garden


I thought I would give you a glimpse of my environment so here are some photos of my house in Stoke Newington, Hackney together with some of the local area. Hackney is a relatively poor borough in North East London- a traditional area for new immigrants. When I first moved here 30yrs! ago, it was mostly Asian and West Indian but in the last 10yrs it has become very Turkish with people from mainland Turkey, Turkish Cyprus and Kurdish people. My local corner shop is run by Kurds but they dont advertise this much perhaps because of the historical friction between Kurds and Turks in Turkey. Sadly, I dont have much contact with this community except in shops. In the past there have been street demonstrations between different political Turkish groups and when the Kurds' leader was imprisoned in Turkey, some of the Kurds would go on hunger strike in protest, outside their community centre. Thankfully he was eventually released.







4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this insight Gabrielle. It's a real shame that people cannot get on together better. Perhaps we need more weeks last last week?

    I'm sure everyone else will also enjoy this glimpse of London life.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grabrielle I do appreciated your photos and comments too, i agree with David about the "weeks" .. Roberto

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that nice chandelier in the kitchen.Your house looks very cosy. It is good idea to insert in blog photos from our residence.

    ReplyDelete